There are more than a couple of ways of updating Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) packages on your machine. One is by using up2date, the default package updater of RHEL systems. Unlike Fedora and CentOS which uses yum, up2date requires you to be registered to Red Hat Network (RHN) to be able to download or update your packages from the RHN repository.
Now, what if you need to install a certain package that is not available in your current repository by up2date? Or what if the package in the repository wreaks havoc in your system? Maybe you should try using yum to install or update rpm packages.
But… but… but how can I install yum in my RHEL machine?, you may ask. It’s actually very simple.
I got this tip from Babar Haq’s Blog with a little modification since I am using RHEL 4.
1. Download yum by using wget
2. Install the rpm
# rpm -ivh yum-2.0.8-1.noarch.rpm
3. Configure /etc/yum.conf to use compatible repository
name=CentOS-$releasever – Base
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever – Updates
4. Download and install the CentOS GPG Key
# wget http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-4
# rpm –import RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-4
5. Test yum to see if it works (I tested by running full update on my machine)
# yum update
*Note: This will update ALL installed packages in your machine. If you do not want to do this, cancel the process or skip this step.
If you reach step 5 without encountering any errors, it means that yum is successfully updating your machine with the latest versions available in the repo.
This worked perfectly fine for me. If you experienced any errors, post a message and I will try to help you out
37 Comments to “Howto: Install yum On RHEL 4”
Subscribe to Email Feeds
- Vim: How to Copy Multiple Lines
- Required Packages for Oracle 11gR2 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- How Replace Space with Newline in Vim
- Robinson Cebu Pacific Credit Card | Your Finances on Cebu Pacific Sucks
- 12 Little Things That You As An Ateneo Hearter Can Do To Help Your Country | Yoo Jin and Akeem's Blog on Bayanihan Linux: True Blue Pinoy Linux
- [RESOLVED]Can you do this in aspx page | ASP Questions & Answers on Tip: How to Decode CSR
- How to Add or Remove Library Path in RHEL | PinoyTux Weblog on What are Libraries in Linux?
- 博文：《RHEL4 安装yum》 - 苗乡小鱼的博客 on Howto: Install yum On RHEL 4