Infosec.org News reports that Register.com suffered yet another DDOS attack last April 2 that has a wide-scale effect on its critical operations. Nameservers are down so not one domain that uses Register.com’s nameservers can be resolved, resulting to downtime and to most customers, loss of income. Even the domain registrar’s official website cannot be accessed during the time of the attacks.
I managed to get through their clogged phone lines and the customer service representative assured that their engineers are working hard to bring the servers back to operation.
Hopefully after this unfortunate event, which surely cost them valuable customers, has taught them to be more pro-active against potential attacks to their networks.
Register.com formed an official announcement regarding their service disruption during the DDOS attacks on their network infrastructure. Here is the official statement:
Register.com Service Alert
April 4, 2009: 2:52PM EST
As we previously communicated, Register.com has been experiencing intermittent service disruptions as a result of a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack.
We want to update you on where things stand.
As of now, all web services are operational. If you are experiencing any issues please call 1-888-734-4783. We have support teams standing by to respond immediately.
Please note we are not discounting the possibility of an escalated DDoS attack. We are taking every possible precaution to protect our infrastructure and our customers. In response we have:
* Deployed counter-measures to mitigate the attack and added capacity across the company’s network
* Setup special channels with major ISPs to re-enable customers’ services
* Isolated the profile of the attack through forensic data analysis
* Engaged the FBI and The Department of Homeland Security
We promise to update you if there is any change to the situation.
Throughout this attack we have received incredible support from our customers and want to thank you for your understanding and continued loyalty. We recognize these attacks create significant hardships for our customers and will continue to work to maintain and earn your trust.
2 Comments to “Register.com Nameservers Suffered DOS Attacks”
Subscribe to Email Feeds
- Vim: How to Copy Multiple Lines
- Required Packages for Oracle 11gR2 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- How Replace Space with Newline in Vim
- How to Add or Remove Library Path in RHEL | PinoyTux Weblog on What are Libraries in Linux?
- 博文：《RHEL4 安装yum》 - 苗乡小鱼的博客 on Howto: Install yum On RHEL 4
- Hiding Files Inside An Image in Linux | SACHIN JINDAL'S BLOG on Hide Files Inside An Image File
- Falko on Howto: Install yum On RHEL 4
- Akira on Cebu Pacific Airlines is Evil!