I have recently purchased a new home office router that connects two desktops and one laptop by wireless connection. Back at the store, I made my mind to purchase Linksys WRT54G over D-Link (I forgot the model) because there are a lot of good feedbacks on Linksys.
Everything was good the first two weeks we were using the router. The signal strength is good and my laptop can get decent W-Fi signal anywhere inside. Then the network became rather choppy, pings are intermittent, and worst, one desktop (particularly my desktop PC) cannot browse.
The weird thing I was able to download stuff using torrent, my Pidgin can sign in to my accounts on Yahoo and MSN Messenger and streaming video and music works. Everything works, except for the browser. I blamed the Linksys for this and contacted the support thrice, and I was given a lot of configurations that should be done in the router settings, none of which solved my problem.
Googling around got me some help and apparently, this weird symptoms are caused by the traffic from torrent downloads. To fix this, these settings must be done on the torrent client:
1. Reduce the download and upload speed of torrent client. Since I use the lightweight uTorrent Client, I can simply do this by right-clicking the uTorrent taskbar and selecting the download speed that I want. The procedure could be different depending on your client.
2. Disable DHT. DHT stands for Distributed Hash Tables and disabling this in torrent client effectively solved my problem with browsing. Again in uTorrent, this can be done by pressing CTRL+P to open the Preferences window and selecting the BitTorrent tab. Uncheck the DHT selections and click OK to save the new settings. Restarting the client helps too.
I did these two steps and this solved the issue of not being able to browse the Internet while downloading torrents.
9 Comments to “Tip: Can Download Torrents But Cannot Browse”
Subscribe to Email Feeds
- Vim: How to Copy Multiple Lines
- Required Packages for Oracle 11gR2 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- How Replace Space with Newline in Vim
- [RESOLVED]Can you do this in aspx page | ASP Questions & Answers on Tip: How to Decode CSR
- How to Add or Remove Library Path in RHEL | PinoyTux Weblog on What are Libraries in Linux?
- 博文：《RHEL4 安装yum》 - 苗乡小鱼的博客 on Howto: Install yum On RHEL 4
- Hiding Files Inside An Image in Linux | SACHIN JINDAL'S BLOG on Hide Files Inside An Image File
- Falko on Howto: Install yum On RHEL 4